Welcome to LivesthroughFriends
Enabling Good Lives Newsletter
See how our New Zealand friends are working to empower citizens and catch up with what Bob has been doing "down under" - click on this link:
Thornbury Time Bank
LivesthroughFriends are leading on the development of a Time Bank in Thornbury. We are currently seeking to engage a local Time Bank Broker to help further this development alongside a group of people with learning disabilities.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
THE GREEN BOOK - Caring for Each Other Sustainably
Written by Bob Rhodes, with emotive contributions from Colin Campbell and Ken Davies, it explores the crisis in care in the UK through the media of stories, questions, opinions, poems, rhymes and songs. It strives to get beyond reason - to make you laugh and cry. Describing the book, Richard Davis writes: We are at many crossroads, we need above all to change the way we think. As Ackoff said, we won’t make progress by doing the wrong things righter. This book is a challenge to current thinking but neither is it a prescription for the warm and woolly. The consequences would be a better society and a cheaper one. Do you want to be strong and different or weak and similar?
Much More to Life than Services is available in ebook format - from all the usual on-line sources.
You could download it now?
Have you read \\\"Much More to Life than Services\\\"?
by Bob Rhodes, LivesthroughFriends Co-Director, \\\"Much More to Life than Services\\\" was published in 2010:
Much More to Life than Services...asks our social care professionals to use their skills, resources and knowledge to help people to come together and \\\"visualise, plan and implement their own support\\\". The book is a means to an end, a brilliant and sharp reminder to bring about a culture change for the better.
Martin Simon (Chief Executive - Time Banking UK).
You can purchase a copy of \\\"Much More To Life Than Services\\\" through PayPal using the \\\"BUY NOW\\\" button below.
Our goals are simple but challenging:
- To contribute to the evolution of the personalisation thrust and the restoring of power in respect of social welfare to individuals, families and communities
- To demonstrate the necessity and viability of a wide diversity of initiatives to not only support people to successfully self-direct but also, and as importantly, to effect a culture change in favour of self-reliance and reciprocity
- Through local action
- To raise grassroots awareness of the opportunities on offer and support people and organisations to grasp them
- To constructively criticise initiatives that unnecessarily retain power and control in the hands of public bureaucracies
- To contribute to the emergence of a movement of people who believe that there‘s more to life than services.